Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Nutrition?

Hi all,



I'm typing as I watch Biggest Loser - I hope my trainer doesn't get any ideas from Bob!



So I thought I'd start with a little bit on nutrition or my "diet" plan. On the BLBE2 board, Lynn posted on "Healthy Food vs. Diet Food". It's a topic I think about greatly. My past has me eating prepared foods (usually fast food) 3 meals a day. Add to that crappy snacks, and you have 85% of the reason I was over 250 pounds. I have determined that it's not realistic for me to go from that to made-from-scratch goodness. Therefore I have developed "phase one". Here are my "rules".


  1. Log everything I eat on the DailyPlate

  2. Eat 5 times per day

  3. Always eat before leaving the house

  4. Eat under 1600 calories per day (unless I work out twice - then I can up this to 1800)

  5. Eat a fruit or veggie at every meal

  6. Pay attention to sodium & fat intake

There we are in a nutshell. Sure, I'd like to eat more fresh veggies and not the frozen covered with cheese. I'd like to enjoy an apple as a snack and not have 100 calories of a cross between cardboard and cookies. One day I will improve. For now, I'm working in baby steps.


So...here's a quick run-down of today. I worked from home (only day this week).


Breakfast


1/2 cup Total Cinnamon cereal with small banana and 1/2 cup of skim milk


Lunch


The plan was to take some frozen corn and rice & beans and microwave them while grilling my chicken. Turns out the microwave and the grill on at the same time blew a fuse. Embarrassingly enough, I don't know how to change a fuse, so I needed an alternate to the microwave (I moved the grill). I ended up pan-frying (in a non-stick pan, no oil) the corn and rice together. It got a bit mushy, but was pretty good.

Early Dinner

Um, perfect example of what I was talking about earlier in the post, but this was leftover Shepherd's pie and veggies (from the freezer).


Then off to the gym for 20 minutes on the Elliptical and then 30 minutes of hell with my trainer -- squats, crunches and lunges.

Post Work-out snack

Bagelful & Milk

Snack

100 calorie pack of Oreos. I liked them.


Total: 1585 calories consumed

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I think smalls steps is great ... going full force with anything can be too much at times and throw us for a loop!